Facilities available to disabled people – There are many facilities available to disabled people. The problem is, not everyone is aware of them, hence why I have written this blog. Today, I hope you find a facility that you weren’t aware of before and indeed benefit from it.
I will talk about Motability, Taxi card schemes, freedom passes and even Radar keys. Don’t worry if you are unfamiliar with any of these, you will understand more as I take you through them!
The Eurokey Project is a facility similar to the Raday key. It enables physically impaired people to independently gain access to disabled sanitary facilities and facilities with a unit key (presumably) across Europe. At the time of writing this, there is currently a time frame of up to 8 weeks for orders to be processed.
Cost: Key – 23 Euros
Key with Locus Disabled Toilet Directory: 30 Euros (correct at the time of writing this). Please always check the website for an up-to-date price.
The key is only handed out to people who are dependent on disabled toilets.
The German severely disabled person’s pass is considered an entitlement if
• the mark: aG, B, H, or BL
• or the mark G and the GdB from 70 and upwards is included.
As soon as the severely disabled person’s pass or proof of entitlement is available or has been transmitted with the order, we will send you the invoice in advance.
The following are still entitled to subscribe:
- severely/exceptionally handicapped;
- Wheelchair user;
- stoma carriers;
- Blind woman;
- severely disabled persons who are in need of assistance and may need an assistant;
- multiple sclerosis,
- Crohn’s disease,
- Ulcerative colitis sufferers and
- People with chronic bladder/bowel disease.
Medical proof is always considered sufficient if a disability cannot be proven otherwise. This applies in particular to persons from countries that do not have a comparable identification system. The European parking card for severely disabled persons can also be used as proof here.
Source: Euro WC key: CBF Darmstadt (cbf-da.de)
Just Can’t Wait Toilet Card
Just Can’t Wait Toilet Card is from the Bladder and Bowel Community. They use the universally acknowledged W.C. signage, giving you the benefit of discreet and clear communication for those moments when you just can’t wait to use the toilet.
The Just Can’t Wait card is now available to download to your phone.
No requirements, just a few questions.
Source: FREE Just Can’t Wait Toilet Card – Bladder & Bowel Community (bladderandbowel.org)
Disabled Persons Railcard
Disabled Persons Railcard can save you a 1/3 off train travel for you and an adult companion. Average savings of up to £91. They are available digitally or as plastic cards.
If you are disabled or have a progressive medical condition you are eligible for the Disabled Persons Railcard if you:
- in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
- receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Child Disability Payment (CDP) at either:
- the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or
- the higher or middle rate for the care component
- visual impairment
- hearing impairment
- receive Attendance Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance or Pension Age Disability Payment (PADP)
- get War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
- receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
- buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme
Cost: 1 Year – £20 3 Years – £54
Source: Disabled Persons Railcard | Official Retailer | National Rail (disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk)
The Fuel Service app provides disabled drivers with all they need to refuel their cars. FuelService tells you which nearby stations have assistants available who will refuel your car. You can also use fuelService by dialling our interactive voice service or by sending an SMS TXT message.
Source: fuelService – Helping disabled drivers refuel their cars
Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else or an organisation that transports people that need a Blue Badge.
People who automatically get a Blue Badge
You automatically qualify for a Blue Badge if you are aged 3 or over and at least one of the following applies:
- you are in receipt of the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
- receive a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component)
- registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- you receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- received a lump sum benefit within tariff levels 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- you receive the mobility component of PIP and have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress
There are many other reasons you may be entitled to get a blue badge, please visit the website for a full breakdown and more information.
Cost: Individual councils charge different prices, please contact your local council for more information.
Source: Who can get a Blue Badge? – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Motability is a scheme where you can exchange your qualifying mobility allowance for a brand-new car, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle (WAV), scooter or powered wheelchair.
For a full list of benefits and more information about eligibility, please vist their website: Allowances and rates | Motability Scheme
Cost: Individual to each applicant
Source: Motability Scheme | Lease a car, WAV, scooter or wheelchair
Disabled Persons Freedom Pass
Freedom Pass – The travel pass for disabled people allows free travel across London and free bus journeys nationally. A Disabled Freedom Pass is valid all day every day. London Councils fund all the journeys that are made at those times. Full details: Bus | London Councils
To be eligible for a disabled persons Freedom Pass:
- Your sole or principal residence in London And
Source: Disabled persons Freedom Pass | London Councils
Taxicard offers subsidised travel in licensed taxis and private hire vehicles to London residents with serious mobility impairments or who are severely sight impaired. It enables members who have difficulty in using buses, trains and tubes to get out and about.
Application details: Apply for Taxicard in your borough | London Councils
I haven’t been able to find any information regarding this on their website.
Cost: Again, I’ve no information. I believe the card is free and you just pay a subsidised taxi fare.
Source: Taxicard | London Councils
Radar Key The National Key Scheme (NKS) offers disabled people independent access to locked public toilets around the country. Toilets fitted with National Key Scheme (NKS) locks can now be found in shopping centres, pubs, cafés, department stores, bus and train stations and many other locations in most parts of the country.
Cost: £5.00 (price correct at time of writing this)
Source: The official and only genuine Radar Key – Disability Rights UK
Passport Services If You’re Disabled
There are free services and facilities to help you with your passport application if you’re disabled.
Source: Passport services – Gov.uk
I haven’t gone into too much detail as each website explains things about each facility and there is no point boring you with repeating the information. I hope you have found something that helps you and you can benefit from. Of course, if you have any questions, do drop me a line and I will do my best to help you.
As I become aware of more facilities, I will add them to this list so keep checking back. If you know of a facility that can help disabled people, please leave a comment below.
Blue Badge is Changing
Disabled Facilities: Do You Abuse Them? I Bet You Have!
If you would like to work with me don’t hesitate to Contact Me.