How Easy Is The Open Sesame 6-in-1 Tool To Use – My Review – I bought this tool to help me be more independent around the kitchen. You’re told in the opening image of this product: 6-in-1 tool, Opens almost anything, No effort required and guaranteed to work every time!
It goes on to say: This all-in-one quality tool makes opening jars, bottles, lids, packets, bags, seals and tops practically effortless! These are massive claims for such a small product. But……Can it do what Must Have Ideas say it can?
The Sales Pitch
The Open Sesame 6-in-1 Tool is a multipurpose tool advertised to make everyday tasks easier for people with disabilities, especially those with limited hand dexterity. It is designed to help open bottles, jars, cans, and doors, as well as pulling tabs open. The tool is compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry around and use.
Source: Must Have Ideas
When I opened up the package, it looked a good size and it came with instructions. I chose the blue colour and it cost me £9.99 (This included their 40% off offer) although I’ve never seen this product at full price (as I had my eye on this for a while) plus P&P.
I have tried opening all of the things MHI have claimed this tool can open:
- Tin cans (ring pull) – Opened these with ease, as long as the tin is sat on a firm surface
- Bags (like frozen chips) – Unable to do this due to my dexterity and grip
- Milk cartons (2-pint carton) – Unable to do this due to my dexterity and grip (couldn’t open the plastic screw lid to get to the tab)
- Jars – Impossible due to my dexterity and grip – The tool was also too big for me to be able to try and get a better grip
- Bottles – Again impossible due to my dexterity and grip – The tool is too big for me to be able to get a good grip
- Bottle tops – Able to do this
What I can’t understand is the fact that Must Have Ideas claim:
Open Sesame makes a really thoughtful gift for anyone with dexterity issues.
I have dexterity issues and I couldn’t use this tool to its full extent, making their “Guaranteed to work every time” claim to be false. Maybe even verging on a complete lie to make sales! Needless to say, I felt really let down and disappointed. So I contacted their customer service team (CS).
I emailed them with my concerns over their wording and how I felt it was very misleading and maybe at worst, false advertising.
The following day, I received an auto email informing me I have received a refund. No further contact from MHI at this point. Then this:
Here’s hoping their marketing team do the right thing and makes the wording for this product more realistic and true. I bought this product based on their advert, I feel let down and misled! It’s NOT guaranteed to work every time, as advertised!