Fish Insurance: Do You Have Insurance For Your Wheelchair? – If you insure your wheelchair or mobility aid, you get peace of mind and protection for your chair. Fish Insurance is a company that can insure your mobility products:
- Mobility Scooter
- Manual Wheelchair
- Electric Wheelchair
- Prosthetics & Orthotics
And of course all the other stuff like home/holiday insurance etc.
As you may be aware, I am due to fly out to Vegas later in the year and my biggest worry of all things that could go wrong is my electric wheelchair being broken, or worse, lost!! That would be my trip destroyed. So insurance is very important. My insurance package for my NHS Electric Wheelchair with Fish includes a worldwide cover (including baggage handler cover). This is exactly what I needed to put my mind at rest, I’m sure you can imagine the stress I was feeling!
As a responsible wheelchair user, (well, most of the time :)) I decided it was a good idea to be insured, if nothing else, for third-party. We all know there are people out there that will do anything to make a buck or two. Anyway, a few of my friends recommended Fish.
So I rang them up yesterday to get a quote as I found their website to have a few flaws:
- Didn’t have my make and model of wheelchair
- When you click on “Get Your Quote” you are taken through the steps to “purchase” the insurance.
It turns out Fish did actually have my make/model of wheelchair but was just not showing up on the website. This flaw could possibly invalidate your insurance if you haven’t selected your correct wheelchair.
The first man I spoke with was helpful but sounded rather bored and like he really didn’t want to be there. I didn’t feel confident in going any further with my enquiry or even purchase, so I told him I would ring back later. Which I did do. The second man I spoke with was very nice and very chatty, actually, it got to the point where I thought I was never going to get off the phone but nonetheless, I did. He answered all my questions and I was happy enough to go ahead and purchase the insurance.
At the time of taking out my insurance, here are a couple of the things they cover:
- Loss or theft Up to £7,000
- Third-party liability Up to £2m
- Contingent liability of Up to £2m
- Personal accident Up to £3,000
- Worldwide cover (including baggage handler cover) – Excludes liability cover in North America & Canada (Up to 21 days)
Please remember, insurance companies are always changing/updating their policies, so the above may be different if/when you enquire/purchase yours.
A couple of points to remember:
- Make sure you tell them if your wheelchair is manual or electric
- If your wheelchair is NHS or privately owned – Each have their own pricing
- Make sure you pick the correct option for your wheelchair/scooter – You don’t want to invalidate your insurance
To get more information, please visit Fish’s website: https://www.fishinsurance.co.uk/